The Interior Designers of Canada Foundation (IDCF) was founded in 1990 as a registered charitable foundation, with a mission to contribute to the advancement of the interior design profession nationally.
IDCF is managed by a board of volunteers, with support from IDC staff, who organize events to raise funds for the foundation and help promote the work of the foundation and IDC members across the country.
- Provides scholarships, bursaries, and fellowships to interior design students and practitioners to further their training, development and/or continuing education;
- Endows or establishes professorships and other positions for the teaching of interior design at educational institutions;
- Grants and confers awards, citations, medals, and other prizes in recognition of educational or other meritorious works in the field of interior design;
- Provides for the preparation and dissemination to the public of educational and scientific information on the discipline of interior design, and in the related arts and sciences, through such means as publications, exhibits, conferences, lectures, and seminars;
- Provides grants in aid of research or to undertake research in the field of interior design and in associated disciplines.
The fund will provide an annual award to an eligible interior design student enrolled in the Master of Interior Design program at the School of Graduate Studies and/or a design related masters program associated with the faculty of Communication & Design at Ryerson University.
IDC Scholarships and Bursaries
Wayne Thomson Scholarship
The Wayne Thomson Scholarship, established by IDC and Wayne’s life partner, recently deceased, John Donat, honors the memory of Wayne Thomson – a prominent Ontario interior designer – and assists intern/provisional members with the cost of the National Council of Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam.
The scholarship is awarded annually to one or more candidates under financial hardship who have recently completed the IDFX, IDPX and are eligible for or have completed the practicum for the NCIDQ. Applicants must be fully qualified intern/provisional members of their provincial interior design association.
Robert Ledingham Scholarship
The Robert Ledingham Legacy Foundation, established by IDC and the Interior Designers Institute of British Columbia (IDIBC) in 2013, honours the memory of Robert (Bob) Ledingham, one of Canada’s most celebrated interior designers. Robert Ledingham was instrumental in advancing the profession locally, nationally, and internationally, and was a leader in the development of the interior design educational accreditation process in North America. In keeping with the spirit of Bob’s passion for education, his legacy foundation supports this scholarship program.
The Robert Ledingham Scholarship is awarded annually to one or more candidates who have recently been accepted, or who are currently enrolled (within their first year of study) in graduate school at the master’s or doctorate level.
The IDC Foundation is holding a special event in honour of Robert Ledingham on June 16, 2021. Learn more about the Robert Ledingham Lecture Series featuring Klaus Nienkämper and register today.
BYU Design Bursary
Created in 2014 by IDC and Bob’s Your Uncle (BYU) Design, owned by IDC Fellow, past-president and Registered interior designers Ada Bonini and Cheryl Broadhead, the BYU Design Bursary is awarded annually to one or more emerging professionals who, for reasons of financial hardship, are unable to join their provincial interior design association as an Intern/Provisional member.
IDC Research Grants
- IDC Foundation Research and Development Grant (for conducting research by a practitioner)
- IDC Foundation Research Grant (for conducting research by a practitioner or an academic)
- IDC Foundation Research Bursary (for students in Masters and PhD programs who submit research projects – for their work on a thesis or for research)
2021 Foundation board members
Carol Jones, Chair (BC)
Linda Makins (ON)
Sally Mills (BC)
Lori Arnold (NS)
Tiiu Poldma, PhD (QC)
Theo West-Parks (ON)
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877.443.4425.
901 King Street W., Suite 400
Toronto, ON M5V 3H5
All donations over $25 will receive a tax receipt.